In the late 1993, mysterious records of mind bending electronic echoes, in length and structures, started to emerge from Berlin. Plain sleeved records with enigmatic graphics pressed in Detroit, but made in Germany by two guys from Berlin who weren’t so keen about showcasing their physique, but rather focused on the music. Basic channel and Moritz von Oswald took techno music to a degree in a variety of shapes that encompassed dub, ambient, downtempo, techno and basically crafted minimal techno de facto. Mr. von Oswald aimed towards face eating repetition and stretching the groove into a place that opened a rich and vast new territory in music for the dance floor and sound textures that were and still are unique.
It’s like Lee Perry would stretch his legs in warm bath with nothing but sequencers and TB 303 for company. Using the mixing board as a tool like his Jamaican nemesis, von Oswald swiftly emerged as the quintessential post-modern artist : collaboration were spawned with Juan Atkins, Carl Craig, Nills Petter Molvaer and so on. The holy grail of techno music. Pure class, heavenly remixes and blissful dubby basslines.
Dedicated to Mr Oswald and Mark Ernestus as well.
1) Real Scenes – Berlin
2) Basic Channel – E2e4 Basic Reshape
3) Moritz Von Oswald – Ole (Remix)
4) Nils Petter Molvaer, Moritz von Oswald – Development (Ricardo Mix Dig)
5) TEXTURAL BEING – Homage à Maurizio
6) Round Four: Find A Way – Found A Way
7) Pantha Du Prince – Of Welt Am Draht (Moritz Von Oswald The One version)
8) Juan Atkins & Moritz Von Oswald – Electric Garden (Jazz In The Garden Mix)
9) Basic Channel – Q1.1/III
10) Maurizio – M6B [Edit]
11) Maurizio — Untitled (M-6)
12) 2raumwohnung – Ich Bin Der Regen Moritz Von Oswald Remix
13) Basic channel – Q.1.2 / Maurizio – m7
14) Moritz Von Oswald – Cocoon Dark Dub (Cocoon)
15) Moritz von Oswald – Watamu Beach Rework
16) Infiniti – Think Quick (Moritz Von Oswald ’94 Remodel)
17) Basic Channel – Octagon
18) Basic Channel – Phylyps Base
19) Basic Channel - Phylyps Trak
20) Basic Channel - Radiance II